Saturday, July 18, 2009

Martin on the Couch

Alan Arkin was amazing as Dr. Oatman:

Martin Blank: 'Don't you think that maybe you're just upset because I told you what I do for a living, and you got upset and you're letting it interfere with our dynamic?'
Dr. Oatman: 'Whoa, Martin. You didn't tell me what you did for a living.'
Martin Blank: 'Yes, I did!'
Dr. Oatman: 'You didn't tell me what you did for a living for four sessions. Then you told me. And I said, "I don't want to work with you any more." And yet, you come back each week at the same time. That's a difficulty for me. On top of that, if you've committed a crime or you're thinking about committing a crime, I have to tell the authorities.'
Martin Blank: 'I know the law, okay? But I don't want to be withholding, I'm very serious about this process.'
Martin Blank: 'And I know where you live.'
Dr. Oatman: 'Oh, now see? That wasn't a nice thing to say; that wasn't designed to make me feel good. That's a, kind of a, not too subtle intimidation, and I, uh, get filled with anxiety when you talk about something like that.'
Martin Blank: 'Come on, come on. I was just kidding, all right? The thought never crossed my mind.'
Dr. Oatman: 'You did think of it, Martin! You thought it, and then you said it. And now, I'm left with the aftermath of that, thinking I gotta be creative in a really interesting way or Martin's gonna blow my brains out! You're holding me hostage. That's not right.'

No comments:

Post a Comment